Monday, March 30, 2009

The Monster at the end of this book.

Another Plinky prompt: "Name a children's book that makes you nostalgic. "

Join me on a personal journey to my childhood...

I was definitely part of the "Sesame Generation". All things Grover take me right back to the feel of corduroy jeans when you run really fast, and the way brand new moon boots felt, and the smell of my moms' Impala on a hot day...


I had a pony named "Guy Smiley", and a chicken named "Louise". I could still sing the "12345678910 11, tweeee-ee-eelve" song exactly on key. I dreamed of growing up and having a fix-it shop all my own, or at least just a trash can to hang out in. I never could get why Bert was such a nerd, however. I mean, really, oatmeal is just NOT THAT GOOD, and pigeons stink! My all time favorite SS character would have to be Forgetful Jones. Honestly, how hard is it to remember that the toothbrush is to brush your own teeth?! And, oh, that mustache. That 'stache was enough for me to forever envy anyone who could grow facial hair so effortlessly... He was like the Tom Selek of the Muppet 'Hood.


I always wondered how that giant bird fit in that smallish round nest. And Remember Bad Bart? That dude could DRAW!


Of course, this is supposed to be about literature, not classic American Children's Television...


In a very cliche fashion, I loved The Diary of Anne Frank. I think, as a younger person, this was the first time that I paused for personal reflection. This was such a heart achingly sad story, and a large step backward in the story of human progression to have lost so many beautiful, unique people for such a horrific reason. And the Island of the Blue Dolphin... such beautiful imagery, I always imagined myself trying to survive in the same circumstance. I can never remember the title of that book we read in school about the boys prep school, and the tree that they jumped into the river from, and the character named Phinny. I think that book was the first taste of the delicious world of the literary arts for me. Books like The Call of the Wild, My side of the Mountain, Smoky the Cowhorse, The Taran Wanderer series, and anything by Lloyd Alexander, all served to broaden and shape my literary horizon...


A book was a wonderful companion to grow up with. Now, I think I will head to the library, I feel the hunger to dive into something new...

No comments: