Friday, February 20, 2009

Do you ever have one of those days?

Oh, I guess it was about three weeks ago, now, but Mike ad I decided to go to the gym. I was wearing Yoga capris, and that becomes relevant later in the story, it's not there solely for vanity purposes :)

Anyway, after a pretty long dry spell, I decided that I need to pick up running again, I was doing 6 miles a day about a year and a half ago, and I would like to get back in shape. Our routine is usually that we start out on the treadmill, and do 1-2 miles, then head to the weight room. Mike was about 2 treadmills away from me to my right, and there was some random guy to my right. He sorta gave a me a crusty look as I started out, it took me some extra time to get my ipod untangled and all situated. I think I was disrupting his rhythm or something... This bad vibe just threw off my whole treadmill time. I was on a brand new machine, with a very grippy belt, picture "belt sander", and my poor old assics were about ready to be put out to pasture. My feet and brain were not in sync, and I kept accidentally stepping over the tread to the stationary side railing. The guy next to me is still giving me crusties, like "what in the heck is this handicapped woman doing here unsupervised?". I finally got "in the zone", and was feeling pretty focused. I was liking what I was listening to, (Clutch:robot hive/exodus album) and gradually closed my eyes. I opened them to see myself zooming off the back of the machine FAST. Just them, my right foot caught the side step, and jerked my whole body backward, so I planted my left foot to stabilize myself. Unfortunately, my left foot was right on top of the roller bar that the belt turns around on, so this threw me back off the machine altogether! Here I am, stuck between the wall about a foot behind the treadmill, and the belt, that is whipping around at number 6 speed. It sawed off about 4lbs of flesh from my legs, because I couldn't get up!









I finally did, and thankfully, no one saw what happened, so I got up, stopped the machine, and tried catching my breath. Mike noticed me stopping and looked at me like "What are you doing?!", but just kept right on running. The grouchy guy next to me must have sensed some movement out of the corner of his eye, but was not overly concerned and did nothing but shoot me another crusty look. I didn't want to draw attention to myself, so here I am, bleeding, and SO sore, but I wasn't going to get off the treadmill till grouchy man left, so I walked another half-mile, or should I say limped :) I finally walked out, and sat. I was so sore and stiff that I could barely get up again, and I had somehow pulled a muscle in my shoulder during the awesome ordeal...

Yet another example of just how uber-cool it is to be me!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Thanks for all the fun laughs I needed them today. You are too dang funny!!