Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The ol' Hole in the Cup trick!

Hey, It's Mike and I am guessing it is my turn to "Blog". For those of you who know me, know that I probably have seen almost everything....ALMOST...until this afternoon.



Marcy is pretty much my "handler". I hate to make phone calls, schedule appointments, and do anything that requires dealing with the public. Thank goodness for Marcy! She is always there to help me out and make sure that I get stuff taken care of. I am a type 2 diabetic. I was getting to the point of not having any refills left on my meds, so I needed to make a trip to the doctor and get that stuff taken care of. One magic phone call to Marcy and a few minutes later I have an appointment!



Since going by myself is out of the question, I stopped by and grabbed Marcy and Cloe to go with me. Marcy may be required to produce my insurance card or answer some questions that I should know as well as fill out some paperwork. Anyhow, we got there and everything went smooth. I sat in the chair and watched the Weather Channel while Marcy checked me in. Within a few minutes, the nurse called my name and we headed around the corner to the examination room.



We made the stop at the scale and got a weight ( I know the scale was way off), and then went into the exam room. I jumped up on the table and let Marcy answer all the medical questions. The nurse finally turned to me and told me that she needed to check my sugar through blood and urine. Great.... She told me to go to the bathroom and there were sample cups on the counter and to bring out the urine sample when I was done. I went in, closed the door and pushed the lock in. I tool one off the cups off the counter and tore the plastic off, opened the lid and set it on the counter. The next sequence is pretty much exactly how you would imagine. Un-button, un-zip, adjust, place cup, go pee pee....wait....What the heck? Some liquid was flowing from the cup area down to the floor and spalshing on my boots. It was coming out almost as fast as I was filling it! I stood there in a state of shock as urine ran out of the bottom of the cup. I went through the mental checklist.



1. I am peeing in the cup and not off target, right?



CHECK



2. The lid was removed?



CHECK



ALL SYSTEMS GO!



Still, something failed. Quickly, I stopped and held the cup up in the air to see what the problem was...all while urine was flowing out of the cup and on my boots. There was a hole in the specimen cup!!!!! With my cat-like reflexes, I grabbed another cup off the counter and ripped the plastic off with my teeth like a soldier pulling the pin on a grenade, spun the cap off on in one fluid motion (no pun intended), dumped out what was in the defective cup into the new cup and topped it all off with a little straight from the source.

As I spun the cap on, set the cup on the table, took care of the placement of things, and cleaned the pee pee off the floor, I thought how I was going to explain this one. It crossed my mind not to say a word but I had to tell someone.....

I walked back in the exam room and told the nurse. Of course, she didn't quite get what I was saying. Marcy immediately lost it! Finally, the nurse got it. It was one of those laughs where you can's breathe...just turn bright red. Everyone in the room was in tears. Soon, the whole office knew of my sample troubles.


I guess the moral of this story would be everyone can be the "one in a million". My odds just hit on the the sample cup lottery instead of the Powerball.


Mike

No comments: