Monday, January 26, 2009

I quit!

In case you are just joining our program, here's a little back story...

In the fall of '05, I found myself a mother of 4, with some major financial struggles, and no way to support myself if the need arose, and eventually the need did arise. I have always been sort of a Real Estate junkie, and, in a passing conversation with a broker in Evanston, I decided that I needed to get my RE license. He offered me job after I got through with the testing process. While I was in Cheyenne finishing up the required classroom hours to finalize my license, I was offered a job selling not houses, but dirt! Brooks Realty offered 40 acre tracts of beautiful ranch property, wide-open prairie, great prices, lots of nationwide advertising, unbeatable no qualifying, in house financing, and a very good commission structure. A whole heck of a lot better than tiny income of a residential agent in Evanston. This all came at me at a time of extreme flux in my life. The kids and I packed up and moved 400 miles away from our home, anyone we knew! It was a definite challenge, but it was exactly where I knew Heavenly Father wants me to be. I had the most incredible co-workers. More like family. I moved to the beautiful Hereford Ranch. I have a great ward, I shudder to think where I would be right now if I didn't have the support network of the Church during this time. This job has taken very good care of me. Last spring, it was decided that our advertising structure was going to change, which had the unforeseen effect on all the agents of cutting our sales significantly. The spring turned to summer, turned to fall, which is the natural slow time with this company. The advertising usually runs from March through October, and then we usually cultivate the contacts we gained during that time during the slow months. Last fall found me with very few leads, and not nearly the nest egg I had hoped for, (such is life on commission!), so I decided to accept an offer to work for a commercial RE brokerage in town. The work was exciting, but I found that my new boss and I had major personality conflicts. It was such a struggle. I pushed my way through it, but, truth be told, I was absolutely miserable. I had been hanging on and hanging on, hoping to get paid for any of the handful of projects I had been working on. The climate was less than ideal. In retrospect, the whole experience was soul-sucking. I finally had had enough, I couldn't take it anymore, and I quit last Friday. My wonderful boss at Brooks, Uncle Fred, was so supportive, and welcomed me back with open arms. He even helped me move out of my office. My friends have been such a help through all of this, too. It makes me feel so good that you're all so concerned with my welfare and happiness :)

Today was my first full day back, and it was so incredible, like taking a deep breath of fresh air after being in a stuffy, cramped room. As I walked by Ed's office, and saw Cloe sitting on his lap while he read his email, it really hit me that I never have to go back to that other place again! I can't wait to meet a whole new years' worth of landowners, and to help them build their dream here... Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Good for you, I bet that is liberating. Can't wait to see how your new year goes. It will be fabulous!!

mindi said...

Hi Marcy,

Wow it was nice to get an update. I often wonder what you have been up to. email me at mindimatt@yahoo.com. I would love to hear from ya.

Mindi Matthews, Evanston

Unknown said...

I had no idea you were going through all this. Um, let's talk more, thanks in advance!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.