Sunday, January 25, 2009

Mr. Dent...

I don't know how many of you are Arrested Development fans, but the title of this post made me need to sing the "Mr.F" song from season 3 in a British accent...

On to the mysterious Michael Lee. He and I had a mutual friend who introduced us about about 3 years ago, or was it 4? Anyway, we met over a shirt rack in a smelly truck stop, of all things.. I walked into the room, and saw him, and we instantly had this connection. I couldn't quite understand my reaction at the time, but it makes so much sense, now. It was like seeing an old friend after a very long time. I knew that we had met before. He was living in Iowa at the time, I met him while he was making a Iowa to California run. ( He's a truck driver) The days and weeks went by and we talked. One of the very first conversations we had, we talked about our hometowns, etc. I told him I was from Utah. He asked me if I was a "Mormon", I said yes, and he proudly proclaimed, I'm going to be one someday too! And, of course, my Primary Kid instincts kicked in! I think it was a matter of hours that I had a package in the mail with Our Search For Happiness, and the BOM. Mike and I have always communicated very well, we have the same sense of humor, we think the same way. I have always admired him from the very beginning for being so ready and willing to absorb the Gospel. He truly is a very choice spirit. He and I and Verizon continued with his gospel education off and on over the course of a couple of years. He was my rock through all the struggles I seemed to be going through with my dying marriage, and he was the best coach I could have asked for. I moved to Cheyenne about a year after I met him, I guess.(Boy, I'm getting old and forgetful!) One day I had a random urge to send him a box of movies. I stuck in The Singles Ward, The RM, The Best Two Years, and a couple of other things.
Mike was living in Pennsylvania by this time, and his son was up from Florida for the summer, and I thought they would get a laugh. He told me he got the box, and I really didn't think too much more about it. He called me about 4 the next morning after staying up all night to watch all the churchy-ish movies over twice! He asked me if I could get the missionaries to come talk to him as soon as possible. Over the time that I have known him, I prayed for that moment so long and so hard. I could feel the adversary working on him so hard sometimes, and there were times that I felt like he was winning, but that was so very gratifying to be a part of that moment in his life. Mike has such a special, strong spirit, and he hit the ground running with his education. He and I pretty much worked through all his questions long before he ever got to this point. Before his first meeting with what became "his" Elders, I told him to make sure that one of the first things that should come out of his mouth the first time he met them was to inform them that he was a "golden". Because he was! Later his elders told me that they would come over, briefly outline the discussions, he would proceed to explain each principle in depth, and then they would just chat for the rest of the appointment! Cute little Elder Parr told me that Mike taught him a few things! They have a great bond of friendship both of them email Mike faithfully every Monday. Elder Bull gets off his mission in a few weeks and is already making plans for all of us to get together.





Anyway, on November 30, 2007, I got to be in PA and witness my best friend be baptized and confirmed a member of the church. The moment he came out of the water, he had the most indescribable look on his face, I will never forget that as long I live. We decided to make a pilgrimage to Harmony, PA, and then on to Palmyra, NY. I have longed to see the Sacred Grove, and the Hill Cumorah since I was a little girl, and it was every bit as beautiful and special as I ever could have hoped for. I think I will post this trip in detail in a separate posting.




I have witnessed Mike make so many changes in his life, and "the mighty change of heart" is such an amazing thing to behold. I feel truly blessed to be a part of this whole journey with him. I have had so many impressions and whisperings that he and I sat together somewhere before this life and made promises to each other to make this happen. I think we planned, and wished, and dreamed together. His journey so far hasn't been easy, but his resolve has been rock-solid, and I admire him more than he can imagine for that. Since his baptism, I was by his side for his Patriarchal Blessing, his first trip to the temple, and I have watched him grow so much. He truly is an inspiration...




















No comments: