Thursday, August 19, 2010

I'm getting that twitchy feeling...




About 3 times a month, I get this feeling.... This restless, buggy kind of feeling... This, "I want to go in the kitchen and never come out" kind of feeling... The last time this happened, I brought forth a brand-spanking-new cheesecake recipe unto the world, DAH DAH DUUUUUH... (dramatic music is what I was going for there, did ya get it?) ...And about a zillion dirty dishes, but that's an entirely different story... Anyway, last month, it was pie. I've never been an able pie crust person, so I decided that, after my finals were over for the summer semester, that I was going to BEAT THIS. So I did. We had lemon chess pie, we had more lemon chess pie, (Mike really liked it), we had coconut custard pie, and more coconut custard pie... After about 10 extra pounds, I had finally satisfied myself that I indeed, had finally crossed "Making Good Pie Crust" off the list of things I would really like to do before croaking. After that, it was panko breaded golden shrimp. I stood at the bbq, with the cast iron frying pan full of oil, sizzling away on the side burner and breaded and deep fried about a million and a half medium sized shrimp. It was GOOD. It took about 2 hours of my life, but it was worth it. Now, anyone who knows me well, knows that I am capable of wasting copious amounts of time on ONE thing, just to prove I can conquer it. *insert mental image of mad scientist HERE* (case in point: The aforementioned cheesecake, the gluten free bread month, the PERFECT bread recipe search, the sugar free trifle, the lemon cheesecake, the list goes on and on...).

As I have been on a "natural food" kick the last, well, EVER, (and Since I have championed the cause of cutting MSG out of our diets), I have been thinking about a good solution to store-bought, additive-laden crackers. I found a brand that makes GREAT "natural everything" cheese crackers. The box is smaller than the traditional, 2 for 2$ "neon orange" cheese crackers, and my kids can down it in about one sitting. This has made me start thinking about making crackers. I've seen recipes before, but never actually tried. Which led me to thinking about making cheese crackers. Which led me to the twitch...

Which led me to search and download about 10 cracker recipes that have me teetering on the edge of throwing caution, and some much needed housework, to the wind, to begin my adventure. Reckless, you say? Crazy, you ask? Maybe so, my friend, maybe so... But I'll let you know how the crackers turn out...

Shortly after I get done with the mountain of dishes :)


No comments: